Friday, May 16, 2008

Preschool Skill Assessment

Sanjay brought home his first "report card" recently. I could hardly wait to tear it open to see what his teachers think of him... to see if he acts differently at school than at home. He received very good marks. His lowest rated skill was "Shows compassion/understands other children's feelings", which tends to match his at-home behavior. According to the report, he still has not mastered "I can line up and follow the leader"... I can just imagine the amount of fidgeting he must do when having to obey this kind of structure. My favorite part of the report is the personal note from the teachers... I always love this section. They wrote about Sanjay:

"It has been a pleasure to have Sanjay in the Honeybee class. He is a sweet, bright little boy who just lights up the room. He is doing well in all areas and is constantly learning. We will miss him! Stop and see us in the fall. Have a great summer!"

Out of curiousity I grabbed Priya's skill assessment from the same class and same teacher when she was Sanjay's age (+3 months). Her lowest marks were in the following skills: "I can line up and follow the leader", "Helps with clean up time", "I can play cooperatively/take turns and share", and "I can use scissors with control". It's funny because I remember specifically her teachers talking to me about her ability to effectively cut anything. But, those memories only surfaced when I pulled out this report. Luckily she's crossed that hurdle since her preschool days and now is a regular pro at creating artwork, and even slippers, out of construction paper. Here is what the same teacher said about Priya three years ago:

"Priya is a very sweet girl. She is a great Honeybee and is well rounded in all areas. She is a joy to have in class. We are working on our 'cutting skills'. Thank you for sharing her with us this year."

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

Those comments are the best. Oddly enough, Brandon gets the same comments I did at that age. God matched us well!!!