19 weeks ago I started a training program to complete a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) for my big 4-0 milestone birthday that is looming around the corner. If I get a crazy idea like this when I turn 50, somebody please stop me. It was a lofty goal that I thought was attainable with enough training. However, I didn't take care of my aging body like I should have, I think. I didn't take stretching seriously enough... and I probably should have dropped a few pounds before taking on a challenge like this. There are lots of what ifs, but the fact is, I am probably too injured to run the race tomorrow.
About 3 weeks ago, I got some knee pain after a short run and since then I haven't been able to run without pain in my knee. Oh, I've tried, but I can only manage about a mile before it signals me that I should stop. So for tomorrow, the race that prompted all this training, I will probably end up walking most, if not all of the 13 miles. :( A bit of a shattered dream, but it's okay. The whole idea was to see if I could even run this distance and in my last good training run I did 12.35 miles... I will think of that day as my half marathon day.
Tomorrow morning, we are boarding the beast (my neighbor's car) and heading up to Denver at 6:30am for the race. Since I'll be walking the majority of it, a couple of my friends who weren't going to do the race might end up doing it after all. This way, I'll have some walking buddies. It'll be the first 1/2 marathon for 4 of us, so I am excited to have some good friends join me. After the workout, we'll indulge without guilt some birthday cake, yummy food and drinks before hitting the nightlife in Denver. I'll check back in after the weekend with pictures and stories to tell.
1 comment:
sorry about your knee, but good for you for still going thru with the 1/2 marathon.
Post a Comment