Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sick Days and Snow Days

A few weeks ago, someone I knew came down with the swine flu and subsequently the rest of her family also fell sick. Shortly after that, I noticed a new sign at Sanjay's preschool that read "We have a confirmed case of the H1N1 flu". A week later, the sign read "We have confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu". Three days later, Sanjay had a fever of 103 degrees before noon. That fever hung around for at least 2 days before it dropped down to 101ish for three more days.

That's when Priya came home from school crying, achy and cold. She'd been like that for nearly the whole day and didn't bother letting her teacher know. Poor girl. Thus far in my parenting, it was probably the most guilt I've ever felt. That morning she had a bad cough and a headache. I should have known, but she insisted on going... it was "Fun Friday" after all. Every Friday they get to "spend" their behavior-earned money in the teacher's shop. Anyway, as I'm sure you have guessed by now, she had a high fever.

Two days later, it was Bartee's turn. He is still suffering from the effects, especially in the evenings. I have become an expert in making an Indian home-remedy cough medicine, the ingredients of which include turmeric, cumin and pepper. Thankfully Amma shared the recipe with me before heading off to Canada on Friday. The timing for her trip couldn't have been better, as it's best to keep an uninsured 64 year old lady away from the sickies this week.

So, the kids are basically fully recovered and we get dumped on with an Autumn snowfall that results in school closures... for two days! Does the superintendent not realize that we are going stir crazy in this house? We were anxious to get back to school, but it looks like that might not happen until next week. Let's see... I'm expecting at least a 2 hour delay in the morning.

In case you wonder why I've slipped under the radar this past week or so, it's because I've been busy sanitizing the house and taking care of the crew. The only one in the house, besides me, that seems to have escaped the flu is scheduling playdates in the backyard and has decided that it's suddenly ok to pee on the deck.





4 comments:

Louise said...

I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's illness. Fortunately Sam was able to get the Swine Flu Mist yesterday at Detrick and Scott and I have both gotten the Seasonal Flu Vaccine for the first time in our lives. We're too old for the Swine Flu vacines and mist LOL. I've been encouraging the girls to get it when it's available at their schools. I've been hearing about lot's of cases in our area as well. Hope you continue to avoid that nasty bug.

Louise said...

Something I just remembered ... When I was in the third grade I was supposed to have a friend over after school to spend the night. Well that morning I was feeling horrible and it only got worse during the day but I refused to tell anyone because I knew that my friends visit would be cancelled if I was sick. Eventually the teacher realized that I was sick and called my mom. The end result was that I had the mumps and of course my friend was not able to spend the night. So don't feel too guilty, kids always have and always will do these things :)

Michelle said...

Time to schedule a play date with Obi. He really needs one.

dhuffer said...

Glad everyone is on the mend... I hope I don't pick up anything. We are hearing of a good many cases around here. Bu tI have no plans to get either flu shot I never have and I'm not going to start I just don't think it is a good idea to keep shooting that stuff in our bodies. Did you hear about the Redskins cheerleader that got the regular flu shot and now can barely move??? that's a one in a mil case but.. But thanks but no I will take my chances. I eat well and take daily vitamins.

I like the idea of the home made remedy.. sounds interesting