Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of School - 2nd Grade

Today was Priya's first day of school. With the new puppy at home and her usual case of the this-is-something-new-jitters, when I was tucking her in last night she admitted that she didn't want to go to school. However, this morning she awoke on her own and got ready quickly and with a great attitude. She was happy about it after all. While driving to school, she started to get nervous about not remembering all the rules from last year. She said there were too many and she was afraid she would mess up and disobey a rule without knowing it, landing her in trouble. Caboose went with us to school and I think that helped ease the transition this morning as her mind was focused elsewhere.

When I picked her up from school she told me that she missed me a lot today and wanted to come home during lunch. Tonight when I tucked her in she told me she was worried about tomorrow and if the same thing would happen to her. She asked me what she should do. These are the tough times as a Mom, because what I wanted to say was... "Well, honey, how about tomorrow you just stay home with us?", but that's not possible. So I encouraged her to be strong and promised that I wouldn't pack her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The rules don't seem clear on the peanuts in school. It seems as though some teachers allow it and others don't... I need to do some research. Anyway, she wasn't permitted to eat her peanut butter sandwich today so she was hungry which contributed to her stomach ache; the one that started because she missed me. So, those things, plus the reminder that this was only a 3 day week of school alleviated her concerns, at least for tonight. I suspect that within days, she'll be excited about waking up and going to spend more time with her new friends.

As usual, I snapped lots of photos this morning however in many of the pictures Priya's smile was forced and uneasy. This one was by far the best and from what she's holding in her arms, you can probably see why her smile is so natural.

6 comments:

dhuffer said...

Wait..... WHAT!?!

"I wouldn't pack her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The rules don't seem clear on the peanuts in school. It seems as though some teachers allow it and others don't... I need to do some research. Anyway, she wasn't permitted to eat her peanut butter sandwich today"

What is that foolishness about ??

They can't even eat their peanut butter sandwich at lunch or what?

Is that because of other kids allergies or what... Please fill me in I have to hear this one...

So it is better to go with out lunch I guess makes sense to me...

Sandy said...

It turns out that even Priya's teacher wasn't clear on the rules. :) They have designated "allergy" tables at school. These are the tables where the kids with food allergies should sit every day. Last year, a little girl with a serious known peanut allergy sat next to Priya several times. Being the type of person she is, Priya refused (without being told) to eat her peanut butter sandwich on those days. I told her that she needed to remind the little girl to sit at the other table, but Priya doesn't like to tell people what to do (except me, of course). Anyway, she's just so nervous of hurting someone that she gets really anxious about having peanut butter at school... so she has told me to not ever pack her peanut butter anymore. It's really more an issue with my child than the rules, it looks like. However, there are several schools here in Colorado that do not allow peanut products in them at all.

dhuffer said...

Ok... that cleared it up a little bit interesting.... Man the rules they have now that we didn't even think about when we were kids....... I am shocked we are still alive LOL

Sandy said...

Dan... I think about that all the time. :) There are so many restrictions. These days you CANNOT share any of your lunch in the cafeteria. We lived for that in elementary school. There was all kinds of trading going on back then. You never really knew what you would be eating for lunch that day... kept it interesting.

Amy said...

whoa, no sharing? I remember we shared/traded snacks from our lunches all the time. You always had the way more cooler little debbie cakes and I had plain old cookies or something like that. :)

dhuffer said...

Yep and you know me always Mr. negitive ..... What we have now is not a good thing.... IMO But I guess I am the minority.