Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Permission Granted

You have got to be kidding me. This came home today in Priya's school folder.

permission-slip

Is this really what public schools have resorted to? They won't challenge my child to more difficult math work without my permission first. Don't get me wrong, I understand the “we're taking your kid on a bus” permission slip, the “it's ok to videotape my kid” permission slip and the “we'll be using the internet at school” permission slip. But this is complete nonsense... I'm not even sure what I'm agreeing to here. Seriously.

Enough already with the red tape, the procedures, the locked doors... just let the teachers teach our kids. That's what they signed up for and that's what I, as a parent, want them to do. You don't need my permission for this.

And now back to your regularly scheduled blog posts; you know the ones that don't involve me complaining. this much.

6 comments:

Jenn @ My Kind of Strange said...

Unbelievable.

dhuffer said...

I am not sure what the answer is here. I contribute this to what society has become. You can't really blame the school their hands are tied. You have parents (not you mind you) That have no common sense.

From the slip:
"I also that new groups will be formed after the first eight weeks & that participation in this session IS NOT (NOTE IS NOT) a guarantee of formal identification for the talented & gifted program."


You see the issue is sure as shit you'll have some hahoo of a parent that thinks little Johnny is ENTITLED to staying in the program or has now been marked as tanented and gifted.....

So in short it means "Hey if you kid can't keep up in this program there is no grantee they will remain in the said program.

You can thank the world we live in of lawsuits and the feeling of entitlement that everyone has now and days for this permission slip!

Its not a fault of the "Public School system. It is the people that are around you..

Amy Jo said...

It looks like they will be pulling Priya from her classroom to do some enrichment activities. Since she will be leaving her "regular" classroom they would need permission from you to do so.

I SO wish I could leave all the red tape crap behind and be able to teach my kids. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. :(

Anonymous said...

No to knock you off your soap box, but honestly, until you've been a teacher or a substitute and have dealt with ALL types of parents, you need to take into consideration that all parents are not supportive, practical and see the "matter-of-factness" - in this situation. There are great parents but there are also parents that aren't.

There are many parents who complain that their child's work/homework is too hard...I've had parents who wrote notes that said, "I only want my child to have spelling homework and nothing else because that's what he needs the most help in." (It wasn't!!) -- Excuse me, what!?!?!?!?! This same parent once flipped off the VP in the parking lot. Yes, it happens.

Unfortunately, not all parents are supportive and well, smart. There are kids who not only don't come with homework, but don't come with pencils, paper or even backpacks...kids who have "home" folders that are never even glanced at.

You know me well, and I was banned from a first grade classroom last year because of a parent who complained to the principal about me. She said I refused to let her son go to the bathroom, and he came home soaked and sobbing. Like I would EVER send a first grader home A) SOBBING! or B) Soaking wet. And this parent also didn't know that I am a parent of a child who has urinary reflux, therefore, I am very understanding about bathroom issues and lenient. Nevertheless, I was banned from the class (that I subbed in often) because of an insistent mom who claimed his accident was my fault. I'm sure he had an accident on the way home, she got mad, and he said "Well the substitute teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom!" This goes without mentioning all the other issues she always had with the school.

So, sorry, but I'm all for permission slips - I want in writing what a parent says is or is not ok, because I can promise you in the end it always saves your b*tt. I'm not sure if you know but teachers can and do actually get sued over individualized education plans (IEPs) and more.

I'll shut up now- just struck one of my hot topics. LOL.

Sandy said...

Anonymous,

I totally get your point and know that's why it's done... and my sympathy here goes with the teachers for even having to draw up a permission slip like this. It must be frustrating as h*ll to be a teacher... methinks. It's really too bad that people so easily jump on the lawsuit bandwagon these days.

Thanks for your comments... wish you'd left your name though. :)

-Sandy

Sandy said...

Amy,

Thanks for the teacher's perspective... I feel for you girl.

-Sandy