Sanjay is 3 and if it were completely up to him, he'd be done with the napping... ready to move on from that stage of growing up. So, as usual, I think, "What's in it for me?". Can I benefit from him staying awake through the long afternoon hours? Do I really need that extra time to run errands? Probably not. In fact, giving up his nap means I have to give up my me-time (that's what they are calling it these days, right?). The afternoon is my down time, time that is built into my schedule for just being at home relaxing... not cooking, not cleaning. Whether it's napping with Sanjay, spending time catching up on my reality tv, finishing up those scrapbook pages or dawdling on the internet... it's time that I always PLAN on spending at home. I'm not ready to give this up yet, but I think I'm losing the battle.
These days I'll put him in his room and he'll stay in there for a good hour and a half quietly playing and secretly removing his clothes. By the time I check on him, he's usually partially undressed and pushing cars around on the carpet or maybe hanging out in his closet reading a book. So, I give in and let him come out of his room. Then at 5pm, after nearly falling asleep eating dinner... I find him on the couch like this. Unfortunately, this picture doesn't capture the heavy breathing that accompanied the moment, but if you look closely I think you can see the sweat beads on his hairline.

Dear boy... looks like you're not ready to give it up either...
2 comments:
I remember these days with Nicholas. So hard when they don't want to sleep anymore. And when I say so hard - I mean on us mommys!!!
oh this is one of the hardest things. They really still need it, but it is so hard for them to understand. Brandon at 8 still needs a nap from time to time. He fights it every time but ends up telling me he was glad he took his nap. Luckily he has always been good about bed time. It isn't a battle we have ever had. But nap time, plenty of battles there! Good luck getting through this phase!
Post a Comment