Monday, March 3, 2008

Family Portraits

Funny how the preschool and the elementary school seem to be on the same schedule with their lessons. Within a week of each other, they both brought home depictions of their family.

priya

Note: Daddy is wearing a tie... quite unusual, but Mommy is in her faithful polka-dot t-shirt and jeans. We all seem to be bobbleheads without necks.

For Priya: A friend commented on your picture by saying... "Your family is not brown", and from what I can tell you took offense to that. You have always seen yourself as brown from as far back as I can remember. You've always seen your skin color as closer to Daddy's than Mommy's and that's ok honey. Be proud of who you are and don't let anyone tell you that you're somebody else. You are so beautiful and to be honest, I am quite envious of your skin! It's gorgeous and I hope you will always be comfortable in it.

sanjay

Note: Mommy and Daddy have uni-hair. Priya's legs seem to be flying in the wind, and I'm not sure what happened to the facial features of both children here. Priya looks like she may be wearing glasses. Again, we are bobbleheads without necks... the only similarity between the drawings.

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

ok I am gonna go all science teacher on you, Priya is absolutely right. We are all brown. Melanin is the substance in your skin that causes it to have color. The more melanin, the darker brown you are.

I think it is great that she recognizes her individuality.