Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pongal Celebration Today

We missed Pongal by a few days... it is actually celebrated on January 14th, which as it turns out was probably one the most lazy days of my life this year. Seriously, I didn't even blog that day... too lazy to type words on the keyboard. There was lots of laundry in the house that needed attention, the suitcases needed to be unpacked, the playroom was a mess, the kitchen was a mess... and it stayed that way. I wasn't sick... didn't have a good reason for my laziness, but that was my state of mind last Monday. So, today we celebrated. At the request of Amma (my mother-in-law) I made Bartee's favorite... masala vadai (a fried salty snack) and chakra pongal (a sweet dish made with rice and lentils). We burned incense and ate these treats for lunch. It doesn't come close to the grand celebration we had last year in India, but it was satisfactory for a Hindu celebration here in America.

No comments: