Well, it's back to school after a week long vacation. It felt a little like the first day of school when I checked and double-checked everything... lunch packed?, daily folder empty?, water bottle filled up?, quiet-time blanket washed and in backpack?. Ok, so I forgot the quiet-time blanket, but 3 out of 4 isn't too bad.
She was feeling sad about heading back to school. All the kindergarten friends can't make up for the comfort of home. During the drive we talked about kids that go to school at home... she wanted to know how they figure out what to do on what day? How do they keep the same schedule as her kindergarten class? Then she asked me if she could be home-schooled. And, once we got into the parking lot at school she wanted parent-pickup today instead of a ride home on the bus because then "I can see you sooner". It broke my heart to leave her at school this morning... we'll miss each other, but I have to stay strong and help her through these transitions. I agreed to do parent-pickup today, but she'll ride the bus the rest of the week.
Her behavior today caused a flashback to a time when I was her age... I can remember vividly the first day of school (for at least the first couple of years of elementary school) begging my Mom to drive me to school instead of send me on the bus. Each year, she insisted that I be brave and ride instead. I don't know whether or not this made me a stronger person, but it seems like the right thing to do. Even if you wait until the next day, the first time you step on the bus it'll be your first day on the bus, so why not make it coincide with the other kids who are already on the bus waiting for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment